In a large bowl, mix together the lentils, apple, celery, and lemon juice.
In a small bowl, blend together all the remaining ingredients (except the cheese and spinach) to make the vinaigrette.
Add the vinaigrette to the lentil mix. Top with cheese and spinach at the last minute.
- 540 ml (1 can) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) old-style or Dijon mustard
- 5 cups (100 g) baby spinach, torn into pieces
- 80 g cheddar cheese, cubed
Try varying the greens—Romaine lettuce, mesclun, arugula, or other, depending on your preference and inspiration!
Always keep your pantry stocked with tins of legumes (lentils, chickpeas, black or red beans, etc.). Legumes are not only economical, nourishing, and versatile, they are also an excellent source of plant protein.