Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
In a saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Remove from heat and add couscous. Cover and allow couscous to swell for 5 minutes.
Using a fork, fluff the couscous with 5 ml of olive oil
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- 250 ml (1 cup) unsalted chicken stock
- 375 ml (1½ cup) whole wheat couscous
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 540 ml (1 can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200 g (1 container) bocconcini pearls, drained
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fresh basil, minced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Other legumes such as white kidney beans, red kidney beans, or lentils can be used to add variety to this salad.
As kids get older and become more comfortable in the kitchen, why not ask them to get more and more involved in the cooking, under supervision, of course! Kids can also choose their lunch menu and help you do the grocery shopping.