Italian salad with croutons
Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
In a large bowl, blend oil, garlic, and dried oregano. Add bread cubes and toss well.
Place bread cubes on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, turn croutons, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
While croutons are baking, put white kidney beans, bocconcini, and green onion into a bowl.
Add cubed tomatoes, basil, and croutons, and toss lightly.
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ml (½ tsp.) oregano, dried
- Salt and pepper
- 750 ml (3 cups) whole wheat country-style bread cubes (± 1 inch)
- 270 ml (½ can) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 g (1 tub) bocconcini, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cubed (± 1 inch)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fresh basil, loosely chopped
- To taste: 15–30 ml (1-2 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar
To keep croutons crunchy, store them in a sealed container overnight and add them to salads the next morning.