Strawberry rhubarb cake
Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) and line the bottom of a 20 cm (8") springform pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, combine the first three dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, cream the margarine, sugar, apple sauce, and vanilla.
Stir in eggs, one at a time.
Fold the dry ingredients into the mix.
Pour the cake dough into the pan, add fruit, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for about one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 310 ml (1¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 7.5 ml (½ tbsp.) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) margarine (room temperature)
- 175 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) rhubarb, chunks
- 250 ml (1 cup) strawberries, sliced
- 1–2 ml (¼–½ tsp.) ground cinnamon
As fruit comes into season, try other tasty combos like raspberry/plum, blueberry/nectarine, apple/cranberry, and others.