Line a 20 cm (8") square pan with parchment paper. Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 180°C (350°F).
In a food processor, puree kidney beans. Dilute cocoa powder in the water and add to apple sauce. Add this mix to the bean puree and melted chocolate and stir well. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour and bran. Set aside.
In another bowl, beat eggs with the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
Incorporate chocolate and bean mix. Stir well.
Add mix to dry ingredients. Stir well.
Pour mix into the pan and cook for about 45 minutes or until the middle has set.
- 270 ml (½ can) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 60 g (2 oz.) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted (in the microwave)
- 125 ml (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) whole wheat flour
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) oat bran
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml (¼ cup) canola oil
- 175 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) vanilla extract