Stawberry cranberry squares
Place rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to
190°C (375°F). Line a 20 cm (8") square pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the margarine and mix well until lumpy. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring to a boil 250 ml (1 cup) of strawberries with the cranberries and sugar
(add 15–30 ml water, as needed). Simmer for 10–12 minutes or until the mix has thickened into a compote-like texture.
Add diluted cornstarch and mix well. The compote will continue to thicken.
Remove saucepan from heat and add the rest of the strawberries. Stir until well coated.
Press half of the crust mix into the pan. Add the strawberry filling and top with the rest of the crust mix.
Bake for about 45 minutes.
- 175 ml (¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- 375 ml (1½ cup) oat flakes
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) ground flaxseed
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 175 ml (¾ cup) non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- 750 ml (3 cups) fresh strawberries, sliced
- 250 ml (1 cup) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) cornstarch (diluted in a bit of water)